visa and international student registration
VISA APPROVAL LETTER (VAL)
As of 1st April 2016, international students have to apply online for their Visa Approval Letter (VAL) through Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) . It advisable student to apply VAL minimum 6 WEEKS before your registration date.
International students who wish to study full-time at any educational institution in Malaysia must apply for a Student Pass. This is a requirement of Regulation 13 of the Immigration Regulations 1963.
International students MUST apply and obtain the approval to study in Malaysia before entering Malaysia
Conversion of an existing Social Pass (Tourist Visa) to Student Visa is strictly not allowed
As an international student studying in Malaysia you will be granted a student pass and visa for a year (or part of a year), depending on the country which issues your passport. You are personally responsible for the timely submission of the documents to obtain your student visa.
Starting from 1 April 2015, new application for Visa Approval Letter (VAL) is managed by Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) prior of submission to Malaysia Immigration Department for aproval.
- DO NOT PURCHASE YOUR FLIGHT TICKET until you have obtained the VAL & SEV approval.
- Student is advised to travel to Malaysia WITHIN the period of the registration date (as i.e,1 or 2 days before reception date). The Special Pass is given for 30 days only.
- International Students WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO REGISTER with the University if you don’t have VAL and SEV.
- Students who have entered Malaysia using Social Visit Pass MUST return to their home country and apply for Single Entry Visa (SEV) at the Malaysian Representative Office.
- Students changing from another institution/university WITHIN Malaysia, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com for variation/progression visa procedures or visit [HERE] for updates on variation/progression.
- Accommodation can only be provided to you from the date of reception (refer to ISC website http://isc.utm.my). Students arriving after 5.00pm (Malaysia time) or during public holiday/ weekend are advised to arrange your own accommodation.
- Married students MUST enter Malaysia as a single traveler. Dependent pass can only be applied after a student’s pass is issued. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com for inquiries (Dependent pass is applicable for postgraduate student only)
- If VAL did not approve within specific time registration period, you are advised to postpone your study to the following semester. Kindly contact admission office for details.
- International Student Society (ISS) is a society for international students. Please visit http://isc.utm.my/international-student-society-contact/ for updates on ISS.
International students are strongly advised NOT to enter Malaysia before approval of the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) and Single Entry Visa (SEV)
5 STEPS TO APPLY VISA APPROVAL LETTER (VAL)
The VAL processing may required four to six weeks (sometimes more) before being approved by the Immigration Department of Malaysia. After studentreceived Offer Letter from UTM, you can start applying your Visa. Please ensure that you follow the requirement guidelines strictly to avoid delays in your visa application. UTM bears no responsibility for late submission. Visit International Student Centre website http://isc.utm.my/ for upate on VAl application
STEP 1: COMPLETE YOUR DOCUMENT
The following is the list of documents required for the pre -arrival visa application process:
- 1 softcopy of passport sized photographs with WHITE background only (45mm height x 35mm wide)
- Passport details page (biodata page)*
- Passport page with Visa information or special pass*
- UTM Offer Letter
- Academic Certificates (For academic certificates in other languages, a certified true copy of the English translation must be submitted together with the original version)
- Academic Transcripts in English (For academic transcript in other languages, a certified true copy of the English translation must be submitted together with the original version)
- Health Status Declaration Form [DOWNLOAD]
- Letter of Eligibility / No Objection Certificate (Iran and Sudan student only). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for document preparation.
- Credit Card transaction slip/ Telegraphic Transfer slip . Email to email@example.com
Please read user guide before creating an application. Download [HERE]
* Your passport should be valid for a minimum duration of 18 months from the date of visa application
* Passport copies must be clear [Sample]
* Student from countries Libya, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen required provide ALL passport pages
STEP 2: APPLY & PAY YOUR STUDENT VISA
Apply your student visa online through Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) at https://educationmalaysia.gov.my. Read the EMGS & UTM user guide before creating an application. EMGS will invoice you once you have completed filling the online application form and please note that EMGS visa processing fee may varies according to country (range MYR1750-MYR2,200).
Student can select by Credit Card (powered ipay88) or Payment through institution (telegraphic transfer to EMGS).
1. Please, read the UTM & EMGS user guide before creating an application
2. If student doesn’t have the credit card, please choose to pay through the institution and remit payment by Telegraphic Transfer to EMGS. [EMGS BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER]
3. Please email the transaction slip to firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 3: CHECK YOUR VISA APPLICATION STATUS
You are able to keep track the status of your visa application [after one (1) week of submission] via https://educationmalaysia.gov.my. Immigration Malaysia will issue electronic Visa Approval Letter (eVAL) which can be download at EMGS website after approve of VAL. Once approved, please print the eVAL to obtain Single-Entry Visa (refer step 4).
NOTE: 80% stage in tracking system means the VAL is approved. The other 20% is to be fulfilled after the registration at UTM.
STEP 4: APPLY SINGLE ENTRY VISA (SEV) TO MALAYSIA
After eVAL can be downloaded, please apply for the Single-Entry Visa (SEV) at the Malaysia Representative Office as stated in the eVAL. However, countries without the Malaysia Representative Office can obtain Visa on Arrival for Student (VOAS) at VOA counter located at Arrival Hall Airport/ Malaysia entry point*
NOTE: After approval of VAL & SEV, you may plan your travel. PLEASE PLAN TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS NEAR TO YOUR RECEPTION DATE (i.e. 1-2 days before reception date).
The following documents are required for application of SEV:
- UTM Offer Letter (Some country may required original Offer Letter. Contact Malaysia Embassy for details).
Validity of Visa Approval Letter (VAL)
Validity for VAL is 6 month from the date of approval. Student MUST apply for the Single Entry Visa (S.E.V) within 6 months from date of the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) at the nearest Malaysia Embassy/ High Commissioner of Malaysia (as stated in the approval letter).
If the students fail to obtain Single Entry Visa (SEV) from Malaysia Embassy/ High Commissioner of Malaysia within 6 months from the date of the Visa Approval Letter, student are required to apply new VAL from UTM.
STEP 5: ARRIVAL IN MALAYSIA (Post-arrival)
Upon arrival in Malaysia, show your eVAL, SEV & Offer Letter to the Immigration officer. The Special Pass will endorsed by the Immigration for 30 days. Within the 30 days period of the Special Pass, you are required to complete the following step to obtain a Student Pass sticker endorsement:-
- Report to UTM International Office (Block S 19 for UTM JB or 8th Floor, Menara Razak for UTM KL) for post-arrival medical check-up arrangement at UTM Health Center within 3 days of arrival
- Register as student as stated at offer letter (SRAD for UTM JB and School of Graduate Studies for UTM KL)
- Submit document for STUDENT PASS ENDORSEMENT within 7 days of arrival at UTM International. Refer website http://isc.utm.my for documents checklist
NOTE: It should take 21 working days (or minimum 4 weeks) upon receipt of a complete documents for student pass endorsement. The student pass application must get Supporting Letter from EMGS prior submit to Immigration Department. If student exit Malaysia (for any reason) after registration without complete the student pass endorsement, your VAL and SEV will be VOID. You have to cancel previous VAL, apply new VAL and repeat the same process if you required to obtain for student pass in future.
The Immigration Officer might mistakenly stamp on passport a Visit Pass, NOT the Special Pass. Therefore, you need to check and correct them if the problem arise. For countries which doesn’t have Malaysia Representative Office, student may apply Visa on Arrival Student (VOAS) at entry point (Airport).
It is a requirement of admission to UTM that every student makes a full payment of tuition fees for the 1st semester before or on the day of enrollment. Following the first enrollment, the tuition fees are payable by semester. Information on tuition fees is provided in the offer letter, which include the examination and medical insurance. The fees depend on the duration of study (number of semesters) stated for your programme in your offer letter. Please note that the tuition fees do not cover additional costs such as accommodation and other living expenses, book allowances or field trips.
If you pay your fees and then decide to withdraw within fourteen days from the start of the semester, you will be eligible for a fee refund except from administrative charge, subjected to withdrawal policy. Please refer to the Student Recruitment & Admission Division (SRAD) for details of the refund that will be made. You must notify the SRAD in writing of your intention to withdraw.
It is a requirement for those with a Student Pass that you undertake studies on a full-time basis. A full-time student must enroll in at least 6 units of credit in a semester or carry out full-time research. Certain changes to your enrolment and any breach of a student visa condition in relation to attendance or satisfactory academic performance will be reported to the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
In most programs, it is possible to request deferment until the next available semester. You can request deferment by completing the relevant section in the Acceptance Letter form and return it to the SRAD by the deadline stipulated in the offer letter. You also may send a written request to the SRAD (email@example.com for Postgraduate Study and firstname.lastname@example.org for Undergraduate Study) in cases where you have accepted the offer but later on decided to defer the enrollment. If your deferment is approved you will be sent a new offer letter.
Whilst it may be possible to enroll in a coursework program up until the end of the second week of semester, international students are strongly advised to be on campus prior to the start of the semester. If you are going to arrive after the commencement of the semester, you must seek approval from the School of Graduate Studies. Please advise your expected date of arrival when applying for approval for late enrollment. Students will not be allowed to enroll after the end of the second week of semester.
Please take note, Visa Approval Letter (VAL) could take six to eight weeks for Malaysian Immigration to approve your Visa application. If you don’t obtain visa approval in time to begin your studies, you should postpone them to the following semester, unless you are transferring from another Malaysian Universities/ Institution (variation). Please contact email@example.com if you have inquiry on Visa
If you are postponing your registration,
Please take note, it could take four to eight weeks for Malaysian Immigration to approve your Visa application. If you don’t obtain approval in time to begin your studies, you should postpone them to the following semester, unless you are transferring from another Malaysian Universities/ Institution (variation/progression).
If you are overstay in Malaysia,
Overstaying is an offense in Malaysian Law. Immigration Department will impose a penalty ranging from RM1,000 – RM5,000 depending on the duration of your overstay. You may be blacklisted and deported back to your home country. You can be prohibited to enter Malaysia for a period of time. You may even be imprisoned. UTM will also impose a daily penalty charge for overstayed students. Please renew your pass 90 days before expiry.
What is you need to do after graduation or withdrawal from your studies?
After graduation (or withdrawal from studies), leaving Malaysia without cancelling your student pass will result in the forfeiture of your Personal Bond deposit by Immigration Malaysia and can cause consequences if student decides to apply to another University or progression within Malaysia.
Need more information? Read FaQ on Visa Approval Letter